The Y-DNA Results Colorized report allows you to evaluate members according to their paternal ancestry and Y-STR test results.
Project Members are grouped in the subgroups that you have set in the Project Management Member Subgrouping tool. Within each subgroup, the Minimum (Min), Maximum (Max), and Modal (Mode) values for each STR marker are shown. Where members’ results vary from the mode, they are colorized to highlight the difference.
Accessing the Y-DNA Results Colorized Report
To access this report:
- Sign in to your GAP account by entering your Project Administrator username and password.
- On the navigation bar, hover your cursor over Reports > Genetic Reports, and click Y-DNA Results Colorized on the drop-down menu.
In the lower section of your GAP dashboard, in the Genetic Reports section, click Y-DNA Results Colorized.
You are directed to the Y-DNA Results Colorized page.
Controls and Columns
The Y-DNA Results Colorized report contains the following controls:
- Markers – This is the testing level for the comparison.
- Page Size – This is the number of results that will be displayed on each page of the comparison table.
- Show All Columns – This option is selected by default. By unclicking the check box it will only display the first 12 markers for project members.
- Printer Friendly – This adjusts the formatting to improve printing results.
- Export Spreadsheet – Click to export the Y-DNA Results Classic table to a spreadsheet.
- Show Advanced Filter – Click to display the following fields:
- Kit Number – Allows you to filter/search the table by member kit number.
- Name – Allows you to filter/search the table by name of the project member provided on the project member’s FamilyTreeDNA Account Settings Contact Information tab.
The Y-DNA Results Colorized report contains the following columns:
- Highlighter Icon – This allows you to highlight an individual row to more easily follow the results along the columns.
- Row Number – This will list each row in ascending numerical order. This column can be toggled on or off in the Public Website tool.
- Kit Number – Project member’s kit number that was assigned with their first order. You may click on the kit number to view their results if they have set their Account Settings Project Preferences Group Administrator Access level to either Limited or Advanced.
- Haplogroup – This is the project member’s Y-DNA haplogroup. Confirmed haplogroups (from SNP testing) are listed in green while predicted haplogroups (from STR testing) are listed in red.
- STR Results – These are the results from standard Y-DNA tests.
Each column may be sorted in ascending or descending order. To sort in ascending order (A->Z or 1->10), click on the column name once. To sort in descending order (Z->A or 10->1), click on the column name twice.
Understanding the Y-DNA Results Colorized Report
The Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) Results Colorized report headings are color-coded in two ways. First, each testing level (Y-DNA1-12, Y-DNA13-25, Y-DNA26-37, Y-DNA38-67, and Y-DNA68-111) is coded with a different shade of blue. Second, the STR (short tandem repeat) markers that have faster mutation rates and are more likely to change within the genealogical time frame are coded with a red background.
The Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) results chart is color coded to show where someone in a subgroup differs from the calculated modal value for an STR (short tandem repeat) marker. For each step less than the modal value, a progressively darker shade of blue is used for the background color. For each step greater than the modal value, a progressively darker shade of pink is used for the background color.