After you have purchased a test from FamilyTreeDNA, you have the option to order additional testing through your account. These additional tests fall under two broad categories: Add-ons & Upgrades.
Add ons are tests that you have not taken yet. Depending on which tests you have taken, the following are possible add-on tests that could be listed on your Add ons & Upgrades page:
- Family Ancestry (Autosomal DNA)
- Paternal Ancestry (Y-DNA)
- Maternal Ancestry (mtDNA)
- Additional Tests (e.g., Y-DNA SNPs, Y-DNA SNP Packs, and the Warrior Gene)
- Transfers (e.g., Y-DNA and autosomal DNA transfers)
- Y-DNA SNPs and SNP Packs - Y-DNA SNPs and SNP Packs are designed to help refine your ancient haplogroup to a more recent branch. Depending on your branch of the Y haplotree, there are dozens of SNP packs and thousands of individual SNPs available for purchase. We recommend joining a haplogroup or surname project and asking the project administrator of that group which test is right for you. If you have not taken a BigY-700 test, this may be a better option for you. To learn more about SNP Testing, click here.
- The Warrior Gene - The Warrior Gene is a variant of the gene MAO-A on the X chromosome. Studies have linked the Warrior Gene to increased risk-taking, aggressive behavior, and combativeness. However, human behavior is complex and influenced by many factors, of which genetics is only one. Additional details about the Warrior Gene can be found in the full study, Sabol et al, 1998.
- Autosomal Transfers - If you or a family member have previously tested your autosomal DNA at 23andMe©, AncestryDNA™, or MyHeritage™, you can transfer your results to FamilyTreeDNA by uploading your raw data file. To learn more about these options, see our Autosomal DNA Transfers Guide.
- Y-DNA Transfers - If you have taken a Y-DNA STR test at a Sorenson Genomics lab-based company you may be able to transfer your STR value results to FamilyTreeDNA.
Transfer customers may choose a basic transfer that will allow them to view their results in a new account and to join group projects. These are the Transfer Y-DNA33 and the Transfer Y-DNA46 products. They do not include either database matching or haplogroup prediction.
Transfer customers may also choose to test the Y-DNA STR markers required for matching to FamilyTreeDNA’s customers. These are the Transfer Y-DNA33 with Y-DNA25 Upgrade and the Transfer Y-DNA46 with Y-DNA37 Upgrade products. They include database matching and haplogroup prediction. However, they also require a new DNA sample.
The type of transfer available will depend on the documentation you have from your previous Sorenson-based test as well as the availability of an additional DNA sample from the test taker. To explore these options, please contact us.
If you tested at a lower level test, e.g., Y-25, Upgrades are higher-level tests that are offered to customers who have tested at a lower level test. For example, if you ordered a Y-37 test, you will have the option to upgrade to a Y-67, Y-111, or Big Y 700 test. The same is true for mtDNA and mtDNA Plus test takers to upgrade to mtFull Sequence. The upgrades and their associated pricing will vary depending on the testing levels you have already purchased.
In addition, if you have taken a Big Y-700 test, your test raw data is available as an upgrade. This is due to the increased processing and server storage costs required to provide this large data file.
The following table lists the upgrade options and corresponding prices:
|Y-12 to Y-37||$79|
|Y-12 to Y-67||$149|
|Y-12 to Y-111||$199|
|Y-25 to Y-37||$49|
|Y-25 to Y-67||$119|
|Y-25 to Y-111||$189|
|Y-37 to Y-67||$89|
|Y-37 to Y-111||$139|
|Y-67 to Y-111||$89|
|Y-12 to Big Y 700*||$399|
|Y-25 to Big Y 700*||$389|
|Y-37 to Big Y 700*||$339|
|Y-67 to Big Y 700*||$279|
|Y-111 to Big Y 700*||$239|
|Big Y 500 to Big Y 700*||$209|
|mtDNA to mtFull Sequence||$119|
|mtPlus to mtFull Sequence||$119|
*Does not include the Big Y BAM file product.
No Need to Retest for Upgrades or Add ons
Purchasing Upgrades or Add ons as a Gift
If the person you wish to purchase an upgrade or an add on has an existing kit, you will need to sign in directly to their kit.* If the person does not already have a kit with FamilyTreeDNA, you will need to place a new order.
*If you accidentally place a "new" order for someone who already has an existing kit, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can fix the order.
Group Project Administrators