Filtering mtDNA Matches
In the Filter Matches section at the top of the page, you can use the following filters to display only the matches that you want to view:
- Show Matches for - If you belong to a Group Project, this field allows you to select whether you want to display matches for the entire database or matches for a selected Group Project.
- Only Group Projects of which you are a member are listed.
- If you are not a member of a Group Project, The Entire Database is the only filter available for this field.
- Region - Select the mtDNA coding region(s) for the matches you want to view.
- Matches Per Page - Select the number of matches that you want to display per page.
- Last Name Starts With - Enter the first letter or first couple of letters of the last name for the matches you want to view.
- New Since - Enter a date in MM/DD/YY format to search for matches that were added after the entered date.
Once you have set your filters, click Run Report to generate the filtered match list.
Sorting mtDNA Match Columns
You can sort each column in ascending or descending order by clicking on the column header for which you want to sort your matches.
Viewing mtDNA Matches
The following information about your mtDNA matches is displayed:
- Name - This is your match's name.* This field also includes:
- A link to their personal profile. Click on their name to view their profile.
- A link to their email address.
- GEDCOM/Family Tree (if they have one).
- A link to add a note or a link to view/edit a note.
- Testing levels for their Family Finder and mtDNA.** Note that this indicates they have tested and not that they match you. You may check for them as a match on the respective matches page or on the Advanced Matches page.
- Earliest Known Ancestor - This is your match's earliest known ancestor on their direct maternal line.
- mtDNA Haplogroup - This is your match's mtDNA haplogroup according to their testing.
- Match Date - This is when we matched you and your maternal genetic cousin in the FamilyTreeDNA database. If you and your match received results of different dates, it is the earlier of the two result dates.
* Some of your matches may have chosen not to see or be seen by matches at one or more testing levels. They will be shown as Private.
** These are the mtDNA shorthand, testing levels (products) and matching levels.
|Shorthand||Testing Level||Matching Level|
|HVR2||mtDNAPlus||HVR1 & HVR2|
|FMS||mtFullSequence||HVR1, HVR2, & Coding Region|